Sep 29, 2005

Technology In our lifetime. . .

Heard a thought provoking question today:

What advancement in technology, world event or some other occurence has happened during your lifetime that you would have never imagined (.i.e Berlin Wall coming down, DVD's, podcasting, hand-held pda's, AIDS, two bushes in the whitehouse, etc.)

The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1987.
They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
Their lifetime has always included AIDS.
Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.
The CD was introduced the year they were born.
They have always had an answering machine.
They have always had cable.
They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
They have never taken a swim and thought about Jaws.
They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "de plane, Boss, de plane".
They do not care who shot J. R., and have no idea even who J. R. is.
McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

My Response to this is:
Wireless technology! That is still amazing to me. Getting better all the time.
I remember when we first heard about fax machines in '79-'80. . . We were in awe of that technology and that is nearly obsolete!
Remember when push button (corded) phones were new? I saw an old TV show where they were using the 'dial'. . .that would drive me crazy today!
My Dad worked for IBM & he was on the design team of the first ATM Machine so we got to play with the first ATM prototype, when I was, I guess, in Elem. school.

Now if we could just come up with a way to magically get laundry done!

How about you???

1 comment:

Mrs. J Manny said...

hi Mrs. Sheri! its me jill! Lins sent me her blog sites a few months ago and I was just going through some emails and found them and went to her's randomly and then found yours! anyway, I basically just wanted to say hi and that I hope you are having fun in your semi new place! and just for your info, Mork is from Ork! i soooo used to watch that when i was little =) also, what i am surprised about is that half the population now has online journals. haha! who woulda thunk it! i started one when justin and i got married and im addicted! hope all is well, i continue to miss the sticky bread =)